If you have reached your Windows computer and when you press to turn it on the operating system does not start, we can try to perform certain actions that can help us to solve the problem.
The reasons for the operating system not to boot can be many, it may be for a specific reason or for several, each case is a world.
Sometimes the computer itself is showing symptoms, or it just appears after a change we have made. Other times everything happens suddenly and you are left in front of a paperweight.
All the solutions we can do do not guarantee that it will work again, but sometimes it is due to problems that are not so extremely serious as to have to take it for service or factory reset the computer.
Solutions if Windows 10 won’t boot:
- Troubleshoot issues with the Recovery Environment
- Safe Mode
- Quick start mode
- Let’s disconnect the USB
- If you have a laptop, try without battery
- Assign a new drive letter
- Only the most radical option is missing
Troubleshoot issues with the Recovery Environment
To get into this mode what we have to do is force the system to shut down three times, so that the next time the Windows Recovery Environment menu appears . Once inside we carry out these steps:
- We search and click where it says Troubleshooter .
- The next step is to go to Advanced Options .
- Finally, we must click on Startup Repair .
We can only wait for the system to work and try to solve the problem that prevents Windows 10 from starting normally.
If the above solution didn’t fix the problem, we can try Safe Mode . This mode ensures that the computer starts with the minimum possible components, so possible errors will be minimized.
- The first thing we have to do is enter the Windows Recovery Environment as we have told you in the previous point.
- Now we will click with Troubleshoot .
- Then we must click on Advanced Options to then go to Startup Settings.
- Now click on Restart and when the options appear we select option 4 or option 5 , if we need Safe Mode with network functions.
- when we are already in safe mode we can open Windows PowerShell from the start menu and execute the commands SFC / scannow and chkdsk / f / r to check the disk for errors.
Many times just starting the computer in Safe Mode the problem disappears, so we should test to see if we still have the same problem.
Quick start mode
If you have a fairly new computer, it may happen that in your BIOS there is an option that allows Windows 10 to boot more quickly. This feature is called Fast Boot and may be the cause of the problem when starting your computer.
The best thing is to enter the BIOS of our computer and deactivate it , since there may have been some kind of conflict and it is causing the failure to boot the system.
Let’s disconnect the USB
Although it may seem silly, the truth is that you should remove everything you have on your USB , since it may be that something you have connected to your computer is the culprit that the system does not start and that you cannot work with Windows 10 as normal.
If disconnecting the problem is solved, it is that some of the devices that you had in the USB are corrupt or have some type of error with the drivers, for example, if the failure comes from a printer.
If you have a laptop, try without battery
It may be a good idea to contemplate the possibility that we remove the battery from our laptop, connect it to the mains through the charger and operate that way. If we try to start Windows 10 and it works, it is because the battery has some kind of problem.
In that case, a good solution is to reassign the letter of a disk drive which we suspect is the cause of the error. For that we must re-enter Safe Mode .
- Now we have to enter Windows PowerShell and for this we write the same thing in the writing part that is on the taskbar.
- When the icon appears in the pop-up window that we will see, we will click on it to execute it.
- Now that we are inside, it is time to type diskpart and press the Enter key .
- In the next window that opens, we are going to write list volume and press the Enter key . In this way we will see what are the units that we have in the computer.
- To solve the error with the units, we must use the select volume X commands , to select the unit we want, where X is the letter of the unit and then assign letter X , to change the letter of said unit.
Only the most radical option is missing: restore
If we have not been able to solve the problem, we only have the option of taking the computer to a technician or directly restoring the operating system to the factory to start using Windows as if it were new.
We have a less radical option such as trying to recover a previous version of the operating system where everything worked well and trying to restore it, although to have this type of copies you should have configured Windows 10 to save them.
If you were proactive and these copies are saved, you could recover a previous one from Safe Mode.
- Once in this mode what we have to do is go to Windows Settings (start menu gear), and then click on Update and security .
- Next we go to Recovery .
- Later we will see how in Return to the previous version of Windows 10 we can click on Start to choose which of all the possibilities is the one that can best be adapted to us to solve our problems with the boot.